You are finally ready to pop the question. It’s time to take things ahead, and expectedly, you need to get an engagement ring. Men, at least majority of them, don’t know much about jewelry, so they often rely on judgment to pick the right ring. In this post, we bring a few tips for buying an engagement ring like a pro.
- Start with a budget. You should know the maximum amount you can spend on the ring, and that determines the metal, gemstone and everything else associated with the purchase. Don’t jump at the idea of visiting a jewelry store, because unless you are sure of what can pay, it’s hard to shortlist.
- Select the right store. Don’t be surprised to find stories where unsuspecting men have ended up purchasing a fake diamond or ring. There are many jewelers, who now have online stores. Keep in mind that reputation is everything, and you don’t want to ruin your big day in an attempt to save a few bucks.
- Choose the metal wisely. Before we talk of diamonds, let’s first discuss the choice metal, which needs to be in sync with what she expects. Some engagement rings look like simple promise bands, but the best options are usually designed in gold, platinum or silver. If you don’t want to get confused, go for 18k or 22k gold rings.
- Diamonds are forever. No matter what people say about valuation and resale price of diamonds, it remains the foremost choice for engagements and weddings. You have to choose the size of the diamond based on your budget. Solitaires are good, but for a smaller budget, small diamonds can be used in varied settings.
- It’s for “her”. Knowing your woman and what she loves will come in handy in selecting an engagement ring. Consider what kind of jewelry she prefers, the kind of ring she would love to wear and her lifestyle. Women love adorning their engagement ring, so the choice has to be something that she can wear each day.
Do your homework with regards to diamonds. Beyond the four Cs – cut, carat, color and clarity, there’s also a 5th C called certification. Diamond engagement rings that are certified can be easily insured, and if you happen to replace or exchange it with something better, you can always do that. Check online now and shortlist the best designs. An engagement ring is like an investment – spending a little more is never a bad idea.